What made you decide to become a teacher?

Hi there! How was your weekend? Hope you are ready to begin a new week with the best of energies 💪
I was searching the net when I run into this little question: "what made you decide to become a teacher?" 
Personally I had been asked this question many times before but I have never been able to come up with a response. Is it maybe that I don't see myself as a teacher yet? Or that there are so many factors that I don't want to leave any of them out when it comes to answering the question? Either way I do have some certainties about the matter.
I've been teaching English since I was 18 years old (I'm 25 now in case you were wondering) and I think I would still want to do it for the following five to ten years. Throughout all these years I have learnt a lot about teaching and I'm still learning. In fact, I really like learning about teaching strategies, second language acquisition, and English itself. What I do know is that I would like to expand my knowledge and conclude my studies on the basis of education - I'm not sure when will this happen but having established some long-term goals is the beggining of it, isn't it?
It is said that most of the times whenever someone decides to become a teacher he or she must have been influenced by a former teacher. Disappointingly as it may sound, that's not my case. However, I must give my former teachers some credit. It is because of them precisely that I feel I have succeeded in my studies the years after high school. I learnt a lot about studying habits, responsibility and I was able to become an autonomous learner.
Why English then? Well, I have been studying English for about twenty years now - can you believe that? Of course I do have a knack for it but I have always felt confortable around it. Maybe I had loads of exposure, maybe I'm good at it, maybe it was meant to be. Whatever the case I don't regret my choice.
So now everything boils down to one last question: why teaching? I've always been very fond of helping others and sharing experiences. What is more, throughout all these years teaching I discovered that there is nothing more rewarding than seeing my students grow and overcome their difficulties. Being able to take part into their learning processes and being able to make a positive impact on their lives is what in the end makes me call a school day a good day.
Last but not least, I'm a true believer that everyone has a purpose on Earth. We are here to make a change, to make history and to leave a mark on this world. I hope I'm making the right choices to the right path that leads to make this happen.
So now I invite you all to reflect and share with us in the comments about your personal experiences in having chosen what I believe is one of the most rewarding jobs un the world:  T E A C H I N G.

"A good teacher is like a candle - it consumes itself to light the way for others."
Mustafa Kemal Atatür

Though it's cliche to say, the end is only the beginning if you want it to be.
Paula.

Comentarios

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares de este blog

Make me a sandwich, I'm starving!

Exams season is around the corner!